I’m a big fan of social media in schools.
(If you know me, this comes as no surprise.)
I write about it. Speak about it. Reflect on it. Push boundaries for it.
I believe in it.
But the last few years have been harder. More voices, less clarity. More complex challenges, fewer clear-cut solutions. Time and again, I find myself sensing that we have moved from simple questions of how to create and manage accounts, to how to provide strategic leadership and communications in an increasingly complex and social-driven world.
The challenge is great, and the toll this environment takes on communicators and leaders is real. But what if I told you …
- the conflicts you confront on social media — often outside of official district spaces — help you build trust in your community.
- social media could be your best friend in a crisis.
- these tools increase your power as an advocate in any political climate.
- policies and procedures are still your best bet to manage risk and protect you and your employees.
- the complicated and often frustrating dynamics you face have actually made social media more valuable to your school system.
When I talk to school PR friends and other education leaders, it’s clear we all share these struggles. No district is immune, whether large or small, urban or rural, right- or left-leaning. But when we approach our work with strategy and a leadership mindset, the voices become clearer. The challenges become simpler.
I am excited to lead a one-day workshop on July 15 in Anaheim, in conjunction with the National School Public Relations Association annual seminar. We will dig into these issues (and much more). And I guarantee we will have fun — because the ability to laugh is invaluable when you’re a leader navigating in the age of social media.
I invite you to learn with me. Explore with me. Laugh with me. Grow with me.
Click here for details about the session and instructions to register. Not a communications professional? Not attending NSPRA? You are welcome to join us — there is a stand-alone registration option just for you!